The National Cancer Institute’s SBIR Development Center is interested in connecting SBIR/STTR-funded companies with potential investors and strategic partners to continue the research and commercialization initially funded by NCI. With this in mind, NCI has conducted 4 investor forums from 2009to 2014 to provide our companies with a platform to present their technologies to interested third party investors. In 2015, the NCI introduced plans to support partnering opportunities by providing selected SBIR companies with resources to present at national/international investor showcases. As part of this program, the NCI SBIR team is piloting a set of investor initiatives to connect companies with targeted investors and strategic partners on a regular basis (multiple events each year).
This is the second year that the NCI is following the new model to support abovementioned investor initiatives. Participation in the investor initiatives will be determined on a competitive basis as determined using an annual application process. This application is intended to be used for all of NCI’s investor initiatives starting in late summer 2017 through spring 2018. Based on external reviewer feedback of submitted applications, selected companies will receive NCI support to present at one industry hosted investor showcase. Last year, of the 110 applications to this initiative, 35 NCI SBIR-funded companies were selected to present at various conferences such as BIO, PMWC, ADVAMED, RESI, BioTech Showcase, Life Science Summit and BioNetwork.
For additional details and instruction, view the Application Guide for NCI Investor Initiatives.
Showcases in which the NCI SBIR program has participated in the past or is considering in the future include but are not limited to:
All small businesses who have received a Phase I NCI SBIR/STTR award in 2015 or later or received a Phase II NCI SBIR/STTR award in 2013 or later are eligible to apply. Please note that each company can submit only one application form. If your company has received multiple awards, select the project/product with the greatest commercial potential for an investor event. Companies in all developmental stages are welcome to apply.
Why should you apply?
· Our review team includes about 50-60 VCs/strategic partners. Your application will be reviewed by qualified people in your technology area including some of industry’s top venture capitalists and strategic partners that may be looking for deal flow. Past reviewers have included representatives from GE Capital, BD Biosciences, Johnson & Johnson, and Pfizer.
· We will provide detailed feedback based on investor review and discussion for your application, giving you a chance to learn how investors and strategic partners are viewing your technology.
· NCI SBIR will use the external review to identify and recommend companies for all of NCI’s investor initiatives in 2017 including industry –specific showcases such as BIO or PMWC depending on technology area and product’s developmental stage.
· You could receive financial assistance for presenting at investor forums.
· The applications brief SBIR program staff on the key parts of your technology in a way that allows us to share your company’s progress and stage with external investors that we network with at many events.