- Direct-to-Phase II Pilot and NCI Phase IIB Bridge Award Webinar (March 6, 2014)
- National Council of Entrepreneurial Tech Transfer (NCET2): 8th Annual Entrepreneurial University Startups Conference – Washington, DC (March 20–21, 2014)
- Meet with NCI SBIR at American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) 2014 Annual Meeting – San Diego, CA (April 6-10, 2014)
- NCI SBIR Programs Support Technology Innovation for Cancer Detection and Treatment – with Insight Genetics – NCI SBIR-Sponsored Session at American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) 2014 Annual Meeting – San Diego, CA (April 8, 2014)
- 2014 National SBIR & STTR Conference – National Harbor, MD (June 16–18, 2014)
Direct-to-Phase II Pilot and NCI Phase IIB Bridge Award Webinar
March 6, 2014
12:30 – 1:45pm (EST)
Register today for free: https://cbiit.webex.com/cbiit/onstage/g.php?d=736159274&t=a
The NCI SBIR Development Center will host an exclusive webinar to highlight initiatives designed to help mid-stage and advanced small businesses transition their promising innovations from the lab to the marketplace. Hear about:
- The new Direct-to-Phase II Pilot Program (PAR-14-088).
- NCI's Phase IIB Bridge Award (RFA-CA-14-002), now with expanded eligibility.
- Recent policy changes that expand program eligibility to venture capital backed companies, and allow SBIR & STTR switching.
- Practical strategies and tips for developing competitive proposals, proper stage of development, and other factors that NCI is looking for when reviewing applications.
The Direct-to-Phase II Pilot is a new program to expand opportunities for companies and to accelerate the pace of technology development and commercialization. Applicants who have demonstrated the R&D and technical merit characteristics of a Phase I SBIR project are encouraged to apply. The Phase IIB Bridge Award is for SBIR & STTR Phase II awardees. This is NCI's program to bridge the funding gap between the end of the SBIR & STTR Phase II award and subsequent rounds of financing needed to advance a promising product or service toward commercialization. This award is designed to incentivize partnerships between federal SBIR & STTR Phase II awardees and third-party investors or strategic partners.
National Council of Entrepreneurial Tech Transfer (NCET2): 8th Annual Entrepreneurial University Startups Conference – Washington, DC
March 20–21, 2014
Walter E. Washington Convention Center
801 Mt Vernon Pl NW
The 8th Annual Entrepreneurial University Startups Conference is dedicated exclusively to the best practices for creating and funding globally-competitive, venture-backable university startups. This year, NIH SBIR/STTR Program Coordinator Matthew Portnoy, Ph.D., will be delivering a keynote followed by participating in an SBIR panel on March 20. View the full agenda.
Discounted registration rates are available until February 28. Please click here to register.
Meet with NCI SBIR at American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) 2014 Annual Meeting – San Diego, CA
April 6-10, 2014
Exhibit Booth #1401
Connect with NCI SBIR Program staff at the NCI Exhibit Booth #1401 throughout the AACR 2014 Annual Meeting to discuss ways to leverage the NCI SBIR & STTR Programs and to have questions answered. NCI SBIR will participate in Meet the Experts sessions at the times listed below.
Sunday, April 6
- 2:00pm (PDT): High-Level Overview of NCI Small Business Programs – Moving Novel, New Cancer Products to the Market – Greg Evans, Program Director & Team Leader
- 3:30pm (PDT): Introduction to NCI SBIR & STTR Programs – Christie Canaria, AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellow
- 4:00pm (PDT): Informational Session on NCI SBIR & STTR Phase IIB Bridge Award and Direct– to– Phase II Pilot Programs – Andrew Kurtz, Program Director & Team Leader
Monday, April 7
- 11:30am (PDT): NCI SBIR & STTR One-on-One Informational Sessions to Cover Therapeutic Products – Todd Haim, Program Director
Tuesday, April 8
- 10:30am-12:00pm (PDT): NCI SBIR Programs Support Technology Innovation for Cancer Detection and Treatment – with Insight Genetics. Featuring Michael Weingarten, Director & Andrew Kurtz, Program Director & Team Leader from the NCI SBIR Development Center (see more event details below)
- 2:00pm (PDT): NCI SBIR Funding Opportunities and Practical Strategies on Applying – Ming Zhao, Program Director
NCI SBIR Programs Support Technology Innovation for Cancer Detection and Treatment – with Insight Genetics – NCI SBIR-Sponsored Session at American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) 2014 Annual Meeting – San Diego, CA
April 8, 2014
10:30am – 12:00pm (PDT)
Room 28 D
San Diego Convention Center
111 W Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA
The NCI SBIR Development Center will be sponsoring a session titled "NCI SBIR Programs Support Technology Innovation for Cancer Detection and Treatment – with Insight Genetics" at AACR 2014. The session will highlight the valuable resources provided through the SBIR Development Center, as well as a case study of a company – Insight Genetics – that has successfully utilized the SBIR program to develop and advance their companion diagnostic technology to meet the needs of cancer patients.
In this session, experts and leaders from the NCI SBIR Development Center and SBIR awardee Insight Genetics will discuss:
- Funding opportunities for small businesses and academic partners.
- Program eligibility and tips on how to develop a strong application for SBIR & STTR.
- Programs that NCI SBIR offers to facilitate access to federal resources and processes pivotal to the commercialization and clinical adoption of cancer technologies.
- Special NCI initiatives to support R&D and pre-clinical work.
Registration is free for this SBIR session only. If you are planning on attending the rest of the AACR meeting, regular conference registration fees apply. Please visit the conference registration page for more information.
2014 National SBIR & STTR Conference – National Harbor, MD
June 16–18, 2014
Gaylord National Hotel & Convention Center
201 Waterfront Street
National Harbor, MD
The National SBIR & STTR Conference is co-located with the 3rd Annual National Innovation Summit and Showcase and the 17th Annual TechConnect World Conference, representing one of the largest multi-sector conferences for government leaders, technology innovators, investors, and business developers. Attendees will hear from government, industry and academic experts on successful commercialization strategies, as well as learn about opportunities in defense, agriculture, energy, and health & medicine. View the complete agenda.
This year's conference will also offer:
- Presentations from all SBIR Agency Program Managers.
- Tips on how to successfully submit competitive research proposals.
- Interaction with SBIR Agency Program Managers, technology entrepreneurs, large company representatives, and researchers in roundtable discussions, sessions and one-on-one meetings.
- Optional pre-conference workshops on SBIR Phase I, Phase II and licensing and commercialization.
Register early to save! Early-bird registration rates of $395 are available until April 18, 2014.